Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Nursery Prep

The dressers are finally finished! They still didn't turn out exactly as I wanted, but after working forever on these things, I am happy to throw them in baby's room and never touch them again :) They were my first larger furniture project, so I am excited to try something new in the future and improve on what I've learned.

I ended up going with a two-tone color scheme (Olympic: Heirloom Lace and Puppy Paws) and kept it pretty neutral, since a lot of the decorative things I am finding will have some color. I was originally just going to keep them the way they were after painting them, but thought they looked kind of boring, so I distressed them and roughed them up a bit. I found the hardware for half-off at Hobby Lobby (holla!) and voila!




The nursery is coming along a little bit better now... We just have to decide on the right moment to take down poor Jordan's drums so we can move all of the furniture into the right place.

We scored an almost new and super comfy glider rocker on Craigslist, and after a few more projects, ordering/hanging of some decorationsand getting the rest of his bedding, it will be finished. Hallelujah!

Other DIYs...

 I "borrowed" an idea from Urban Outfitters and made a wooden letter to hang on the little bear's wall. After ordering free highway maps from the Tennessee DOT, making Modge Podge out of glue, and getting the letter with my HL coupon, this puppy cost about three bucks. Bargain!

 Since moving into our new place, I have been trying to figure out what to do with this old thing from Target. It gives off a good amount of light, but the shade is plasticy looking and doesn't go with anything. I found burlap that matches his quilt, so the shade is getting a makeover and being turned into the perfect nursery lamp! Woo hoo!

Once the place is finished, we will post some more pictures. 9 more weeks!

2 comments:

  1. The dressers turned out GREAT and I agree the distressing was a good idea. They're awesome! Alyssa I'm so proud! Nicely done!!!!! And you can order FREE highway maps?? wha? I'm so doing that. So excited for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, lady! You are the sweetest. I am just so glad to not have to worry about them anymore. I know we can order a limited amount of maps (5, I think) in Tennessee through the mail, but I am not sure about other states. I would think that NC would be the same. I guess it just depends on the state? I am sure you can also just pick some up at the DMV or swindle them into giving you one, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete